Monday, February 25, 2008
What a Story This Is Indeed
26 February 2008 12:05 AM

As Brenda, Jackie and I were riding out to Walvis Bay, and as the car made its way between the sand dunes on the left and the South Atlantic on the right, my mind wandered back to 2006; when I made my way down this same roadway in July of 2006 for the first time. Here, some 2 1/2+ years later, and in Namibia for the third time, I found myself riding down the same road. My amazement with the situation wasn't so much the fact of where I was or what I was seeing, but rather the story that I was now finding myself in.

If you've been keeping up with things on Jackie's blog, you may have read how I've already begun thinking about how limited our time here, in Arandis, is. Even though it will be the longest I have been here, I can't help but look around and see all that needs to be done and wonder if there will be enough time to even make a dent in it. My days have been filled with tightening door knobs, gate latches, installing printer drivers, computer repairs and updates. We have visited and spent a little time with five of the six families here in Arandis. I have spent time helping with homework, playing ball tag and watching Ben10 (cartoon of a boy who can turn himself into 10 monsters to help fight evil). Today Jackie and I also visited the C.H.A.I.N School in Swakopmund, hoping to catch up with Armando and his mom Justine. Armando was not there today but we did take the time to kick a soccer ball around with four of the ten other children who are enrolled there to get the special assistance they need. Embarrassingly, I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive on how to interact with these (as I risk not being politically correct...) moderately to severely handicapped children; something that I really have never done before. Yet, we kicked the ball around a circle as best we could, sometimes holding the ball at the feet of a couple of the children so they could attempt to kick or push the ball themselves.

Driving home from Swakopmund, the conversation turned to what impact do we, as short-term visitors, volunteers or missionaries have upon these people, these children? Is there a sense of loss when we leave, or are have they become immune to the comings of goings of teams and volunteers over the years? At what point or under what circumstances would there be a sense of loss? Are we helpful or harmful in that respect? I remember in 2006 that a big concern that I had in deciding to come here for the first time was, "Would I be able to finish what I would be starting?" I did not want to step into the lives of the children and families here, only to just step out.

Already I feel that I have spent more time listening to the stories and circumstances of the children, parents and foster parents, as well as those dedicated individuals involved with the various efforts and organizations, both here in Arandis and in Okahandja. Efforts and organizations that attempt to provide a better, Christian way of life for so many.

What a story this is indeed.

What's ahead? We will begin to help out in the schools tomorrow. Nan will have Jackie and I working one-on-one with some of the children of Talitha Kumi Christian Academy, in the first through fifth grade, who are in need of additional and more personal help and assistance with their learning. We will also be helping out at the pre-primary school. I will continue to have computers to repair; systems that I had worked on last year that have since developed issues and are not running properly. Smithly, one of the younger children, soon after my arrival commented to me that he was glad I was back so I could fix their computer.

It is my understanding that Richard Beukes was transporting the playground from Rehoboth to Arandis this week so perhaps its reconstruction here might also be on our agenda. And, I know of a tree which needs to be cut up behind the primary school. I hope to also continue helping with homework where I can.

For now though, it is 1:45 AM and time for my nap. I have school tomorrow.

(Don't forget to check out Mike Knight's blog.)
posted by Don @ 5:02 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger germaine said…

    you will get as much accomplished as He has planned for you to do...

    savor the moments... and don't worry about tomorrow. You're correct is does come far too soon.

    Love ~G

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Even though the time seems short be comforted in knowing the siginifcant difference that you're making in the lives of so many, a difference that will continue in the weeks and months after you leave.
    Bob

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)