Saturday, March 06, 2010
Day One
Despite being my fifth trip here each has been different. And within hours of hitting the ground, there are indications that this trip will be among the most interesting of them all; certainly not one that could ever have been scripted or planned by just anyone.

Even after not having been here for over a year and a half, the children who did know me were once again excited that I had returned and provided me with not just smiles but with real tight hugs. And, though only 24 hours have passed, there is a certain promise in the air that I will truly get to know some of them even more this trip.

Today we got to visit with some of the families that we know and meet a few we didn't. There are still more new ones to meet and I cannot believe the number of new children. It's the weekend, so we have yet to meld into the weekday activities but that will come soon enough. Tomorrow is Sunday and I will be attending Mass at St. Johannes with Kassie, one of the foster mommies. I think Jackie will be opting for a more African atmosphere with our friends at the Arandis Christian Center.

Despite how some of you might think a Catholic Mass is long at about an hour's length, Jackie's service will be starting at 9:00 AM and I'll be meeting her at around 11:30 or so. Though it might be longer than I am used to, I always enjoy taking part in the ACC services as well and try to attend at least one of them while I am here. Their message, their music and singing are truly an experience that I enjoy and remember long after I am gone from here.

What else...

Many of you may have heard that I did sleep on the plane. Yes, it is true and I must say it made the trip over the pond a tad shorter. Fighting the back end of a cold, long days and nights for 3-4 prior to the leaving for the trip as I tried to get some work done that I did not wish to take with me, and not having slept the prior 30+ hours, was all it seemed to take.

Flying into Walvis Bay instead of Windhoek seemed easier all around. Even getting through Customs seemed less of an issue as we were able to get our passports stamped, grab our luggage and head out the door without having to pass by anyone who might even look at you as International smugglers.

We are staying at the home of Steve and Karrie Graham who, with their family, are back in the U.S. I think our presence here is also a blessing to Happy and Napoleon, their two dogs. Who [and Karen you'll appreciate this one] need baths very week or so! Jackie said that was my job.

Well, it is 11:05 PM here, got a few other things to do before I call it day. Hope to have a few pictures and maybe a video clip or two up for you tomorrow.

In closing, there have been an incredible amount of changes since I was here last. It is not the same Arandis Town that I first experienced back in 2006 where I could count the families on one hand and I knew the name and face of every child. What I think about is how when I leave, I might need two hands to count the families and I doubt that I will be able to come to know the names and faces of every child now, even after a month's time.
posted by Don @ 2:29 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)