Saturday, January 06, 2007
Running around
6 Jan 2007

I have in front of me, a small pile of cables, connectors, CD's, converters, instructions and a book on learning how to speak Afrikaans. I have two suitcases packed downstairs that are each nearing the 50 pound limit that I am allowed for checked luggage. I have a list of personal items I think I will be my carry on luggage. And, I am still trying to figure out if I will be able to get three laptops on to the plane with me as part of my "personal" item.

Although my two pieces of checked luggage are packed, I know I will be unpacking, taking another look at what I have packed so far, and trading things off for other items that might be more important to bring down. I keep getting requests from Brenda that I can't seem to ignore. For example, yesterday in an email she mentioned how they had no more toothbrushes or toothpaste to hand out to the HPOM families. Now I know that some of the things that I've packed and thought it would be nice to bring down are not as important as toothbrushes. So, unpacking and repacking it will be until the day I leave. I think part of what makes this hard is the fact that I am going alone and not in a group of people that might be able to bring down an assortment of things, like in July. But I want to bring as much as I can. I am hoping all goes well with customs, etc. because there is no way that anyone would believe that the children's clothes, videos, DVD's, CD's, medicine, games, books, etc... were all personal items for me to use while in Namibia.

I can appreciate more the logistics of planning and coordinating these trips. The fact that it is just me, and not an entire group has its trade-offs when it comes to trying to make sure things are all in order. People keep asking me if I'm getting nervous about traveling and doing this on my own, as oppose to with a group. As I stated in my last post, I guess the answer would, in some respects, be yes. If I do end up thinking about or dwelling upon all that could go wrong, then I do get nervous. But I try to put all that aside and remember the reason why I am going. I then remember that I need to keep placing my faith in this reason and know that what ever happens is not in my hands, but that I will be in good hands every step of the way.
posted by Don @ 10:28 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)