Sunday, July 27, 2008
Next Stop - Arandis
10:03 PM
Sunday July 27

Today was our last full day in Rehoboth. Our stay with Richard, Sylvia and Cathlo has been a good one; such gracious hosts they are. Tomorrow Sylvia, Friedell, Kat and I will head out to Arandis, leaving here around 6:45AM. We will also be dropping Cathlo off in Windhoek, so she can attend her class. Hopefully, we will be able to make a short stop in Okahandja, to drop some things off with Joan and Dieter Morsbach. Plans are to return to Okahandja for the last two days of our trip where we will stay and visit with Joan, Dieter and Mike Knight. As you may recall, Mike is from Christ's Church of Amherst and is here until November.

These last two days were spent trying to update Sylvia's desktop with the latest XP updates, etc. in preparation for the installation of a new accounting system for Hope's Promise. Unfortunately the process was to take over 9 hours in all. In fact, I still need to stop in at the office before we leave town tomorrow to make sure everything was completed.

For me, one of the highlights about this trip to Rehoboth was being able to locate and spend some time with Maderyna and her daughter Memory. After having found her yesterday and visiting briefly, I thought that might be it for this trip. However, last night and this morning, Sylvia noted that I seemed bothered by something. After talking a bit, she suggested that I spend more time with Maderyna and that Friedell would go and pick her up and bring her back to the office. Then we could visit more while I finished updating Sylvia's system.

Perhaps I might use another post to write about some of the thoughts I was having, after I return home. Suffice to say that realization of finding her living in Block E, in a tin-shack, with her mother and her mother's boyfriend was a bit unsettling for me. Today's visit was a good one and I got to watch a young 17-year old girl be a mother to her 1-year old daughter. As I think back to 2005, when I randomly selected her photograph to use in my blog; a photograph of a 13-year old, Hope's Promise child, who seemed so filled with gratitude and without a care in the world, I can only shake my head thinking, my how things have changed in such a short period of time. Please keep her and her daughter in your prayers.

I've had some good conversations with Richard and Sylvia and I've also spent much time just listening; trying to better understand the dynamics that exist here and in all that takes place. It's not easy and I can see how frustration levels might sometime near the point of giving up. But they don't. With conviction in their beliefs, they use the power of prayer and keep forging ahead. Please keep them in your prayers as well that they can remain strong and focused in their vision.
posted by Don @ 5:03 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Darin said…

    Thank you.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger amanda said…

    Don, the sight of this picture made me burst out into tears.

    God is faithful in the fact that this story with this girl is not yet finished. Memory is so beautiful and has gotten so big!


    Lord, please be with the girl and her baby. Deliver her from the chains that have held her down from such a young age. Show up, do something big. Help her to realize that with You nothing is impossible. Please shield her and protect her from all of the things and the people that threaten to bring her harm. Help her to be a good mother. Be with memory. Protect her and keep her safe. God, I trust You with these things. In Jesus' name.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)