Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Am I all packed? What kind of question is that?
16 Jan 2007

Here is it, after 10:30 PM and if I said I "was all packed" I would be lying.

I have sitting in front of me three CDs provided by choreographer extraordinaire, Sandi Duncan. Thank you Sandi! Thank you everyone who has donated money, supplies, and/or prayerful support.

Karen thinks she might be able to squeeze these last minute items into the luggage without tipping the scales any further than I already am. Gosh, I hope so.

In less than 24 hours, I'll be lifting off from JFK and beginning my journey. I was surprised today to find out that many people didn't realize that I was going to Namibia alone, and not as part of a larger group as I did last July, and as my daughters did in 2005. Although I say that I am going alone, my friend Darin reminded me tonight that I will be far from alone. It is reassuring to know that I have family and friends who will be accompanying me in spirit and prayer. I received more calls today and tonight, wishing me well. Thank you everyone. In thanks, it is my hope that I can keep this blog as updated as I hope to. To help lessen the distance and time between us.

I hope to chime in at least one more time before I leave the U.S. and I figure it will be from JFK. For those of you who might be interested, here is what I know of my itinerary at this point:

Leave Manchester sometime after 11 AM, Jan 17 and arrive at JFK sometime after 12:30 PM.

Leave JFK sometime around 5:30 PM and touch down in Dakar, Senagal around 6:00 AM, Jan 18 (I think there is a 5-hour time difference). Reported flight time is 7 hours and 40 minutes. We are in Senegal for an hour (I'm assuming to change crew and drain the port-o-pottie.)

We leave Senegal around 7 AM and arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa around 5:30 PM. Flight time is reported as 8 hours and 20 minutes.

I need to gather all of my 5,245.5 pounds of luggage at this point and go take a nap at the Dove's Nest Guest House. My flight from Johannesburg to Windhoek, Namibia is around 11 AM, Jan 19. The flight to Windhoek is shown as two hours but I think there is another hour time difference in there some where. Anyway, I land in Windhoek, Namibia around 1 PM, Friday, Jan 19th. For those of you back home, I think that would be around 6 AM on Friday (EST). Flight time is reported as 2 hours.

What happens once I hit Namibian soil is anyone's guess. Some of you may notice my use of "sometime" and not an exact time. Such is life with regard to airline travel and much of how time is perceived in Namibia. I'm just preparing myself.
posted by Don @ 10:17 PM  
18 Comments:
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Jackie said…

    Don,

    I am so thrilled to be reading YOUR blog! I do have a lot of catching up to do though since you have been keeping this a secret from me for the last few weeks! HaHa! I guess I have plenty of time right now since I am not coming to see you off at the airport! How rude is that? You are now on your way to Boston to catch a flight to NY! Ahhhhhh! C'est la vie! It is starting already. There is no plan! Safe travels and God Speed. I will be praying for you! There is one thing I hope you will find out this time around......just exactly WHAT IS THE PASTOR'S WIFE'S NAME?????

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jackie said…

    P.S. Honored to be the first to post on your blog!!!

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don,

    I just read your note yesterday the 16th as I was going thru things on my desk and ask your forgiveness as had I read it earlier I would have already been praying for you safety and most of all the imapct you will have for the cause of Christ with these people. I am excited for you and will pray for you and await your updates. Many prayed for the appostle paul as he went out, as you go out be assured the Lord had already designed you're path and many are praying for you. Have a great trip. As you sow may God give the increase

    Bill

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger germaine said…

    Hey Don!!
    You have way too much fun, be careful of sand burn and remember....

    Plan, there is no plan!!!

    Love ~G

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey teammate :-)

    Pastor Darin is very right when he says you won't be alone. I hope you have the best trip, I am looking forward to hearing how God uses you, and you know we wish we were there too! Please give Chandre and Elaine a hug for me and tell them I love them and miss them. I know they will be so surprised and excited to see you! Take lots of pictures of them and Hope's Promise, i'd love to see how the kids are doing. Know that God is the only strength you need when you get tired. That's so exciting and I'm so happy you get to do this. And this is just for you:

    "STINNNKKKK!!!!"

    <3, amanda

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Darin said…

    Who's the Freak?

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    Thanks, Karen, for keeping us up to date. I was hoping to see a post from NY! I am soooo spoiled by Don's previous blog posting performances! I have the feeling that I will be spending the next two weeks in front of this screen. Deja Vu! And since "Freak" was mentioned, I am hoping that Don took the bag off of his head as he went through the gates! Haha!

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Lisa Andreasen said…

    Greetings Don. Our thought and prayers and certainly our heats go with you. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I type, wishing I were on the plane too. Please send greetings to everyone, Joan, Dieter, RIchard, Branda, SIlvia, Trussford, Pearl, Justine...
    We will be following along with you. Blessings,

    Lisa & Jesse

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Darin said…

    Greetings Don! I hear word this morning that God showed up... and so did Maderyna at HPOM. You'll be seeing her soon. I told you my friend - God isn't done with that part of His story.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger germaine said…

    Hey there!!!
    Praying for you!!!

    That's AWESOME news about Maderyna!! And I agree... He most definitely is not!!!

    Love ~G

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    praise God!!! that basically made my day to hear that Maderyna showed up! That is SO awesome! Praying for you and her, God is going to use you in big ways my friend. If you think of it please tell her that I love her and miss her, and that every time I hear "Come now is the time to worship" I think of her.

    Don, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing that news pastor darin that blessed my heart so much

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    praise God!!! that basically made my day to hear that Maderyna showed up! That is SO awesome! Praying for you and her, God is going to use you in big ways my friend. If you think of it please tell her that I love her and miss her, and that every time I hear "Come now is the time to worship" I think of her.

    Don, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing that news pastor darin that blessed my heart so much

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Praise God! that is so awesome! God is going to use you in such big ways! know that I am praying for you! Don if you think of it please tell Maderyna:

    Ek us lief fer yo, I love you and miss you, and I always think of you whenever I hear "Come now is the time to worship."

    Pastor Darin thank you so much for sharing that news, that blessed my heart so much!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS: stink! :-) sorry my comment posted so many times it didnt show up then I re-wrote a new one, to see that I basically had the same thing reworded a couple of different times! woops!

    praying for you!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS: stink! :-) sorry my comment posted so many times it didnt show up then I re-wrote a new one, to see that I basically had the same thing reworded a couple of different times! woops!

    praying for you!

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    praise God!!! that basically made my day to hear that Maderyna showed up! That is SO awesome! Praying for you and her, God is going to use you in big ways my friend. If you think of it please tell her that I love her and miss her, and that every time I hear "Come now is the time to worship" I think of her.

    Don, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing that news pastor darin that blessed my heart so much

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger germaine said…

    hey manda panda!!
    there is this cool little trash can that allows you to delete your extra messages... :-)

    Love ~G

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    Don, if you can't say the long version, try this:

    Egg Head Yo Leaf!!!!

    And pass that on to my friends Cynthia Pearl, Veronica, and Theresia too!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)