Friday, February 02, 2007
Back in the USA
2 February 2007

Currently at JFK waiting for my flight to Manchester. I had been on a flight that was to be leaving around 12:45 PM but rebooked to an earlier 9:25 AM flight. Ya, check that time and you'll see that either I missed the plane or it hasn't taken off yet; the latter being the issue. Maintenance issues have delayed the flight for two hours. Isn't that a nice welcome home! A fellow passenger suggested that I call Delta and at least rebook or reserve a seat on the original 12:45 flight, just in case my currently delayed flight is cancelled, which I've done.

The flight from Johannesburg was quite bumpy due to the winter air-streams heading east and us heading west. I do believe that I was able to catch an hour or two of sleep, something that I am rarely able to do. The flight was quite empty and we were able to secure the middle 3-4 seat sections for sleeping. Brenda seemed to adapt to sleeping across these seats more than me and slept much of the way.

Being awake as I crossed back over the Atlantic gave me much time to ponder and begin to process these last few weeks. My mind kept racing back to Arandis and to Maderyna in Rehoboth. I began to wonder what bits and pieces that I discovered about myself and how my life back here is. What will I adapt or change as a result of these discoveries. What did they teach me about life this time?

Now that the children have working computer systems in their homes and at school, how will their lives change? Even while the computers were freshly installed into each home, I saw the children, mommies and daddies beginning to familiarize themselves with it; including the Solitaire and Pinball games. I wondered how having these computers would change family dynamics? Would it be for the better or for the worse? I pray things will be for the better as they will be able to use the systems for educational purposes as well as for recreational activity. At least the systems are not connected to the Internet....

Still, as I was carrying in a computer system into one of the homes last week, my mind wandered to Vyf Rand or Nau Aib. Here I was setting up a computer and there are still children in these other camps with nothing but a tin shack for a home and no electricity or running water. I talked about this with Brenda during our flight. She reminded me that yes, there still are children who are very worst off than those in Arandis, and always will be. We cannot change the world for everyone here. But she assured me that we are helping some children become better educated and to grow up with the tools and knowledge to help turn things around in their country.

Although I am back in the States, this blog will not be ending. I have many other pictures to post as well as some videos. I also plan on continuing to post entries of my time there, current thoughts, or news that I have received.

The story cannot end here. There is more to tell and more that needs to be done.

AIRPORT ESCAPADE UPDATE:

The "earlier" flight I was currently booked on was just cancelled! So now I am back on my originally scheduled flight home at 12:45 PM. Almost home....
posted by Don @ 9:54 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name:Don (& Chandre)
Home:Nashua, NH (Arandis, Namibia)
Previous Post
Archives
What Matters

As you let God's design be worked out in you, you will see its impact in others and for generations.

Sometimes it's not about your ability to do something, but your availability to do it that is more important.

Photo Gallery
Namibia 2008
Namibia 2007
  • Being Redone
Video Gallery - 2008
The Crusade Youth Group Worship with Mike Knight
Video Gallery - 2007
Links
What Others Are Saying
I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true. (Pascal)
We all want to get to heaven but nobody wants to die. (Unknown...still looking)
God hasn't given you the events of your life to hold in your own hands. He is allowing you to watch them unfold in His. (Shannon Kubiak, "God Called a Girl")
h2oDevos
Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see. (William Newton Clark)